Friday, September 4, 2009

Sweet Adelines

I have been practicing the new songs I am to learn for the "Daytimers", a smaller version made up of some of the members of the bigger chorus I am in called the Bay Area Showcase Chorus.
Back in 2003, when we had moved back to Columbus from Orlando, I came across a flier at a coffee shop. It advertised an acapella workshop with a chorus in Columbus called the Scioto Valley Chorus. I had not idea what to expect, but had enjoyed singing in high school and college and missed it. It sounded like fun.
We had a nice day of learning songs and eating chili and then everyone who wanted to could perform together at a park for any family etc.. It was enjoyable. I found out that I was a tenor. In the world of barbershop singing, the top part is the tenor, then the lead (which is usually the melody), then the baritone and then the bass. I'd always wanted to learn to harmonize, but since I was a soprano, it never really came up. I was always singing the melody.
I was hooked.
I joined the chorus in Columbus. There were about 60 members. We were considered a mid-size chorus. At the regional competition, we placed first among mid-size choruses and second overall.
The world is split into regions and there is a yearly competition for each region. There is both a quartet competition and a chorus competition at each regional event.
To compete on the international stage, you have to get first place for your region. Which is hard for a mid-size chorus to do when you are competing against choruses that are significantly bigger than you are. It is easier for larger choruses to sustain their sound on the softer notes and it is easier for a tenuous or weaker voice to hide among the other singers. Not that it is impossible to beat a large chorus. Just a lot harder.
During this time I had my breast cancer. I didn't join any support groups, even though perhaps I should have. But chorus provided me with many women who cared about me and a focus that was not my own situation. I could try to improve my singing and focus on our current repertoire or our preparation for a competition or a show and think about nothing else. It was wonderful.
Two years after joining that chorus, my husband and I moved to Pittsburgh.
I realized how important the chorus was to me by getting online immediately and seeing what my options were to join a chorus in Pennsylvania. I e-mailed a few and as soon as I got to Pittsburgh, joined the Greater Harmony Chorus.
Once again, I loved it. Surprisingly the repertoire of songs were all different, so a lot of new learning had to take place. But I didn't mind. I knew how things were supposed to go and did not stress if I had to wait a while to join into a performance. I gave myself time to learn.
A few years later, we moved here to California. Immediately I began looking for a chorus here and found one. It is different to be in such a large chorus. This chorus has competed internationally many times, about every other year for the last 20 years. I am excited to compete and will be on the stage in Nashville in October.
Nashville is so close to the places I've lived before, I am hoping old friends from my other two choruses will be able to come to see me sing.
I remember sitting in a car, talking to my husband about what it meant to me to be in a chorus for the first time since I was a freshman in college. I almost cried. I thought my singing days were over, that the chorus experience was only for professionals or school days. Not so. What a wonderful organization that can support singing for all ages, at all levels of participation. Some of the members are younger, full time employees, straggling into chorus tired after a long day with work and children. Others are older, retired, or working part time and chorus is a big planned time of their week. Of course potlucks are always fun too!
The chorus meets so many needs for so many people.

No comments:

Post a Comment