Thursday, September 10, 2009

Not Working

So, unfortunately my creative writing class was canceled yesterday. I was reimbursed. But, am so sad. :(
Not just to have nothing planned for those Mondays, but because I was going to faithfully complete all of my assignments and have people read them and say in astonishment, "Wow, you really mean that you have never seriously written before?" "This is publishable now" etc... Alas.
So far the children's book writing class is still planned, unless I get a call in the next day or so.
Fred thinks I should take some illustration classes, but there aren't any of those available.
I am getting into an unemployed groove. I eat an apple and read my daily section in my once a year bible. Then I ride the stationary bicycle while watching the Rachel Ray show. Then make some breakfast, usually oatmeal with a nectarine cut up in it as I finish The Price is Right. (I guess I am okay with Drew Carrey running things. He is likable. I do miss Bob Barker though. It is hard to replace someone who has been on the show for 30 years. Drew is getting better. I used to think he just talked entirely too much, but am either getting used to it, or he is calming down. Someday I hope to be a contestant on the Price is Right!)
Then I have my list of things to do. I wait for some sort of inspiration or idea before typing my blog. I do my house cleaning for the day. (Monday is the bathroom, Tuesday the kitchen, Wednesday the floors, and Thursday overall straightening. I can't imagine having anything bigger than a one bedroom apartment to clean!!) I practice the set of songs for International in front of the mirror, improving my facial expressions as much as possible. Emoting the meaning of the songs. I find time, when it is not too hot to take a 1/2 hour walk. I also do the 1/2 hour version of the DVD QiGong for weight loss.
I make sure to log what I eat into my planner. Bought for that purpose. As I look at the last week (when I had that 3 pounds in 4 days blip that I haven't written about yet!!! so traumatizing) I realize that even though I think I am eating very "good choicily" I am actually eating lots of desserts etc...
It is revealing to look at what I am eating! I am trying harder this week.
I was reading a diet book called Volumetrics, which talks about energy density. Foods with less energy density, and more water, vegetables, fruits, whole grains, you can eat much more of than foods with higher energy density. Those would be meats, crackers, cookies, cheese, alcohol etc... When you eat more foods with more water content, you can be fuller longer and eat much more volume for the same amount of calories as more energy dense foods.
Something interesting is that soup fills you up more than eating something more dense and then having the same amount of liquid separately on the side. Your body sees water as quenching thirst, not hunger. The same with soda, which is why people can drink tons of soda and not have those calories satisfy any of their hunger. Tomato or vegetable juice on the other hand does satisfy hunger. So having vegetable juice or broth based soup before a meal will help satisfy some of your hunger. Drinking a glass of water before a meal will not.
It is an interesting book, I recommend it highly.
It recommends logging your food when you are trying to lose weight, so I am.
That is my list of to do items for the day. It is always better though if I can find some time to be with someone every day. One small outing is good enough for my time to go by for the rest of the day. I also try to realize how lucky I am to have this period of time off. Once children come or another job, I will be busy again, for now I am enjoying the restfulness of it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment