Thursday, September 17, 2009

Focusing (On Singing)

So, today was my first day to lead the focusing segment of our chorus practice. It is a short 5 minute or so time to focus on leaving the past week, the future and the day behind to focus on why we're in chorus and to be great singers.
The chorus was so sweet and clapped for me when I walked up, and then again when I was done. I felt happy, but nervous at first.
I had practiced some of the focusing exercises that Jan Carley had passed along to Julie and to me and came up with a little introduction to why it was important to me to take the few minutes to take a few deep breaths and to purposely put everything else out of my mind to focus on what little time we have together to sing our best. (I should get a medal for my run on sentences. Yet, there is no one correcting here! No editors to my work yet. Plus, I have read books with run ons, and fragments of sentences and apparently if it is part of my style, it is not bad. Which is a relief, because where would I be without run ons and fragments???)
I am also going to be singing tags (fancy barber shop word for the ends of barber shop songs, with lots of growing and resonating) with the young women in harmony singers (from 12 - 25 years old) at this AIM (short for Adventures in Music) weekend in two days. I am excited about that too. It is the first time I will be singing in an instructing kind of way, hope I don't get too wobbly in my voice.
It is on the late side of the evening, so this post will be short.

No comments:

Post a Comment