Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Decision

So, with much thought and weighing and internet searching of the differences between mastectomy and lumpectomy with radiation (which I had) and research of the complications of reconstruction, and all my pros and cons, I think I have decided.

This article, which is an interview with Susan Love, of Dr. Susan Love's Breast Book was particularly convincing:
http://health.discovery.com/centers/cancer/breast-cancer/mastectomy-lumpectomy.html

Basically the research shows that over 20 years, with research on thousands of women, the death rate is the same, whichever choice was made, mastectomy or lumpectomy with radiation. In light of this, there seems to be confusion as to why many doctors are still recommending mastectomies.

Yes, the recurrence in a breast that still exists is possible, but with the attention paid to the breasts after breast cancer, that will be found and dealt with before it could spread.

I decided to keep the girls and move on with my life, try to have babies as soon as possible!

Very relieved.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you were able to come to a decision. And yay for babies! :)

    ReplyDelete