Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Plot

The more I read about becoming a writer, the more I feel that it is an unattainable goal.
I am currently reading a book called "How to tell a Story". I give myself a week to read the book I am on, to have a goal, and that means 40 pages a day of this 200 page book. I walk to the library so that I am in a different location and can make myself just concentrate on reading. When I am at home I can watch TV or read for enjoyment, or exercise, but it is hard to concentrate on non-fiction at home. This is how I got through the last book, "Reading like a Writer", which was also excellent and scary at the same time.
You need a lot of discipline to be a writer and I'm not sure how much of that I have. I also sometimes procrastinate when writing my blog, and put it off, sometimes until the next day, does this mean I don't enjoy writing???? Maybe. Or I might be lazy overall!
I was praying this morning for some sort of inspiration of what to do with this inbetween time, between working and being a mom, when I have time. I like the daily exercising a lot and the pleasant walks, but I feel that there should/could be something more. So I asked the Lord to let me know what that might be.
I wanted to quote something from my current library book into my blog, just so I don't forget it:
Once upon a time, something happened to someone, and he decided that he would pursue a goal. So he devised a plan of action, and even though there were forces trying to stop him, he moved forward because there was a lot at stake. And just as things seemed as bad as they could get, he learned an important lesson, and when offered the prize he sought so strenuously, he had to decide whether or not to take it, and in making that decision he satisfied a need that had been created by something in his past.
This is the plot for 90% of the stories ever told.
I think over the years of my reading tons of books, I never really figured this out (although I was suspicious that something must be going on, I would get to the middle of a romance and then wonder what would draw them apart before they got back together and how would they each grow as a result of that). Maybe I need a writing class or something.

No comments:

Post a Comment