Monday, November 2, 2009

Brainsmush

I decided to challenge myself a little during these days when I am in full control of my time and sometimes don't make the best choices for myself.
I started a book called "Reading like a Writer" and decided to read the book in a week, that would come out to 55 pages a day, not too hard, I thought I read about a page a minute. After 40 pages and what turned out to be an hour I decided that it would have to be maybe a two week read and that my brain was so smushy that I could barely write anything in my blog, which I have to do at the library because our laptop is with Fred at work.
I was also trying to get all of this done before 3 so that I wouldn't inadvertently bump into any of my former students at the ever popular local library that they all frequent right after school. It must have been a half day at school though because there have been little ones and medium ones around since I got here and I did see one student. It went well, she said hi.
The book is really good, the author loved reading as a child and all of the way through schooling, masters and PhD and has written a lot, but I am a little intimidated by it.
How to master the wonderful sentence? I am not over wanting the process of writing to be quick and easy and to roll off of my fingers and out of my brain perfect and needing no work. It doesn't seem like that is how writing is at all. So much thought needs to go into every word and reading needs to be word by word to appreciate the author's thought process. Are my thoughts that deep, can they be? Do I want to spend so much time on each word, is writing tedious? Obviously this blog is not because I just write as fast as I can type and then barely re-read what I've written and just hit "publish post" with barely a glance at the "save now" option. Why would I save without publishing, do I need to think about what I am writing??
So, I don't yet. But I'd love to become great and have readers respond with awe as they read my work.
Having the biopsy tomorrow, chose the core needle biopsy, the more traumatizing of the ones offered but the most conclusive just short of an excisional biopsy. All of the doctors think that it is nothing and even look confused that I want to pursue anything since the MRI and the Mammogram and the UltraSound all have shown no cause for concern. We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment