Sunday, May 29, 2011

Whole30 - Day 15

We just had our first away time while on this new diet. We were in Carmel. The best western had tons of carbs for breakfast, so I had an apple and an orange and some cashews that I brought from home. Then we ate at our favorite place there, Belle www.carmelbelle.com for two meals yesterday. I had the polenta with everything, except the polenta. :) Which was roasted tomatoes, stir fried mushrooms, a poached egg, to which I added another egg and a side of roasted asparagus. SO delicious, then for dinner, I had the rotisserie chicken, avocado and tomato salad with bacon, alas, hold the blue cheese. Also SO delicious.
I had an americano, which is an espresso with hot water. Not as bitter as black coffee and at least it warmed me and made me feel like I was having a little treat.
I miss cheese!!!!!! So much. You know it comes with almost everything on every menu and is the most delicious thing in the world. I see it in my future in a mere 15 more days.
I am also excited to start up again with cream for the coffee.
That's what I miss most. Not breads or crackers or cakes or muffins. Just cheese and cream. Also, butter.
We had our grocery shopping day today. I made nomnompaleo's AMAZING baked broccoli with bacon. I followed the recipe and used two heads of broccoli. The flavor of the bacon permeated all of the broccoli and I feel like I could eat all of it right now! But I won't as I want some for later. I am roasting some tomatoes in the oven for garnishes for the next week's egg and chicken dishes. I also made some delicious salsa for garnishes as well. This is a variation of a recipe from a friend of mine named Lilliana who is from Colombia. She makes this much every week and it is excellent on tacos and chips.

Salsa:
5 tomatoes - chopped tiny
1 sweet onion - chopped tiny
1/2 bunch cilantro - chopped
2 jalapenos - seeded and deveined and chopped
4 scallions - chopped tiny
Juice of 2 lemons
1 tsp of garlic powder
salt
vinegar - maybe 4 tablespoons, I used cider just because wine, and rice vinegars are not allowed, and I'm out of regular.
olive oil - maybe 4 tablespoons

I'll top my eggs with this as well as almost everything else this week. So delicious.

So, things are going well.
I'm still alert and awake all of the time. No sluggishness or drowsiness. Not sure about weight loss as I'm not allowed to weigh myself until the end, but I think maybe 3 pounds so far. Things seem tighter (not clothes, but areas of my body), I'm sure the CrossFit workouts are attributing to that too.

It is so strange to say no to yourself as often as this diet demands. I was walking through San Francisco with visiting family and I thought, hmmmmm, shall I have a latte at Starbucks? no What about some small cinnamon donuts from the pier? no What about some ice cream? no What about anything at all in this entire bakery? no. It gives you a sense of power, but then also can be frustrating. Power because you realize you are in control of what you eat and saying no isn't going to kill you. Frustration because isn't it just lovely to eat some ice cream or have a latte while walking around? It's just 30 days. Then I'll have to figure out what I can do next.

No comments:

Post a Comment