Monday, May 16, 2011

Whole30 - Intro

My last entry was about the weight watchers. Well, we've had a couple of trips since then, to New York, Home for the Holidays, and Hawaii! My weight crept back up a little bit and those last 5 pounds I've been trying to get rid of won't seem to go a way.
I exercise a lot and most everything seems to be trim-ish and not too bad looking. But it is so frustrating to feel like I am following the rules to Weight Watchers and am still staying exactly the same plus or minus one pound. Actually I've gained 2 pounds since the return from Hawaii.
So, I decided to try something else. I read the great book "Women, Food and God" TWICE it was so informative.
I got a lot from the guidelines at the end of the book and since reading it have stopped weight watchers counting and have been trying to just eat what my body wants when it wants it. And most importantly not to eat past being full. (Maybe not so surprisingly, I eat a very similar amount to when I was on Weight Watchers. It's just nice not to keep count of everything and to try to listen to my body.)A more mindful eating approach. I don't want to ruin it for you, I SO suggest reading the book. It made me think so much about how much I eat and why.

I thought that would help with the last 5 pounds, but nope. Here they still are, mocking me. I was finally to the point that I thought, "Well, I guess this is the weight I'm supposed to be, and I should learn to be happy with it."

Then I went to a Crossfit location in Palo Alto, as an introductory class, with a friend from my bible study. They mentioned nutrition as such an important base for good fitness and said they use the Whole9 eating program. I went to the website, curious, and found a pretty strict paleo diet suggestion for 30 days. They call it the Whole30. After reading the testimonials and giving it some thought, I decided to try it.

Let me say that I love LOVE dairy products and have tried a few times before to cut back on them and have not been successful.

This 30 day diet weans you from many food groups and you see how you feel afterwards and decide what you want to reintroduce based on the way your body feels after being free from that food group and the way it feels after reintroducing it.

It is nice that it is 30 days only and when I think about what I am missing, I know that I can have that item again real soon. I wonder, based on the testimonials though, if I will want the foods I am taking out when I'm done with the month.

The plan:
No sugar of any kind - real or fake
No alcohol
No grains - including corn and whole grains
No dairy - of any kind, including butter
No legumes - including peanuts
No white potatoes
No processed foods

It seems very similar to the Atkins diet, except without any fruit restrictions. Not that I've ever done the Atkins diet. So, of course I have all of the concerns I've heard related to that diet. What about the lack of carbs? Will I get headaches? Can my body still work well without grains? Aren't all three, Proteins, Fats, and Carbohydrates needed? Of course there are some carbs in nuts, and fruits, which I'll still eat.

I was thinking though, regarding grains, which is my only health issue with this. Of course lots of people all over the world live without dairy and they are fine. We all know sugar and alcohol aren't good. But what about grains? Most Americans eat white processed grains, white bread, white rice etc... Those have no nutrients at all. So, isn't not eating them about the same as eating them? And isn't not eating them making more room in my stomach for more vegetables, fruits and meat? Which do have nutrients.

I also read "Good Calories, Bad Calories" which had me fully convinced that the Atkins diet was based on great scientific research and is the best way to retain muscle while dieting and is also a great lifestyle way to eat.

So, I'm giving it a try.



No comments:

Post a Comment