Thursday, October 8, 2009

Exercise #7 - Emptying a bucket

Write a piece in which a man or a woman empties a bucket.

In our bible study this morning, the leader mentioned that God keeps our tears in a jar, remembering our sorrows. I think mine is more of a bucket. Not that my sorrows are so extreme, compared to many other people, but I've certainly cried a lot of tears.
In the prayer request time, I was crying like a baby because I am so uncertain about what is going on with the lump in my breast that my oncologist found, but looked like nothing in the mammogram and ultra sound. I am trying out a new doctor to see if I can get something more conclusive and that will be tomorrow. I also got a suggestion from another young cancer survivor for another doctor and surgeon to try.
There is a verse somewhere that says something like, our sorrows and frustrations are for the building up of other christians. That we suffer for them, so that they may be encouraged in the encouragement that we have received in the Lord.
As I was thinking about a bucket and what it was for and thinking that even though these writing exercises seem to be getting simpler, they are actually getting more thought provoking and challenging, I thought of the Lord.
He has my bucket of tears, from when I woke up with a bad dream as a child and prayed for him to end my fears, to when I broke up with a boyfriend in high school, to when I was diagnosed with Cancer, to now as I think of having children, and hope hope hope that my cancer has not come back, all of my tears are there in that bucket.
All of my experiences both when I have come to seek God for help and when I have choosen not to and tried to figure out things on my own, or even actively turned away from Him because I would not like his decisions, all of the tears from my experiences are stored by him in this bucket.
He can empty the bucket on whomever he wants, watering a dry and thirsty and suffering heart, and that is okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment